Friday, June 1, 2018

Without a Word, an excerpt



Word
If only I could get into their minds, get to their words, since I cannot leave this chair to accept their offering.  If only I could understand, could know exactly how they color me, color themselves, then maybe…
Light
If only I could crawl behind their eyes and see what it is they select for their minds, select for the feelings that flow from their senses beneath their soft white skins.  The feelings that build and subside like ocean waves.  Together we could ride those waves.  And in this togetherness we could create a life for the ocean, a level for its motion.
Word
We would ride those waves as I do now, alone, in dream…Imagine – floating on top of the surf that rises, in rhythmic, undulating changes.  Rises to meet the white sky.  And as it descends, the sky is cast with the color of a prismatic sunset.  But now, in this space, my thoughts sink through coherent light, falling lower and lower into my darkness, searching for a semblance of time.  And as it sinks, my mind tells me that there is no connection.  That my thoughts cannot be theirs, even in word, in knowing, in screaming…for my scream is silent.
Dream
Space sinks in mink like a semblance of screaming connection, like a silent thought that falls to meet a final word, the word that sinks in sunset
Their my sinks in thought like darkness, searching the silent light for connection, for semblance like a scream searching for space
My mind sinks, searching for connection, searching for the light of thought in space, lowering the scream into a final, knowing heart
The connection sinks in word, a final, even darkness as in my heart a sunset screams for light, searching for a silent knowing
Shadow
During dream, shadow moves across the stage using her/his arms, in almost a swimming motion, reaches the door, and claws it with his/her hands like a dog paddling. 
Mirror
The door opens, mirror appears with a mask painted with the colors of a sunset.  Mirror rocks head back and forth a few times, then slams the door.
Shadow
 Shadow rolls back to the rug.
Word
Oh, that door…
Dream
That door that door that door that door that door that door that door that door
Word
Thoughts and visions
Dream
Thoughts and visions thoughts and visions thoughts and visions thoughts and visions
Light
Thoughts come in vision. 
Word
That’s it!  What is known is know through vision.  I take it from me, and give it to their words, so that they may have it.  But how do they take it?
Dream
Take it take it take it take it take it take it take it take it take it take it take it take it
Word
Take this silent offering that screams in word.  How can this window be?  When what I see within, they see without.  Without me, but with me.
Shadow
Shadow stands and begins to shuffle in circles.
Dream
Within without within without within without within without within without
Word
I am within, I am without.  Here in this space, now looking to see the vision welling up inside in waves
Light
I see it, I feel it, I understand it, I know it, I take it, I give it, they see it, they feel it, they take it, they give it…
Word
Yes, I dreamt it last night.
Light
I dreamt myself sitting above a massive white sphere, with color revolving, the color mine, evolving around it.
Word
And in the dream I reached for the color and as I reached and touched, the color entered me, entered my body and rushed through my veins like a surging stream.  And as the color took shape in my mind, the shape of a million faces, color poured out of my eyes and returned to its orbit around the sphere.
Shadow
Shadow approaches the door in circular steps as dream:
Dream
I you he she it we you they I you he she it we you they I you he she it we you they
Mirror
The door opens, Mirror appears wearing a white, circular mask painted with orbital colors.  Shadow and Mirror meet in motion.
Dream
Me you him her it us you them me you him her it us you them me you him her it us you them
Mirror
Mirror recedes, the door slams.
Shadow
Shadow returns to rug in circular steps and stands while dream:
Dream
I me you you he him she her it it we us you you they them I me you you he him she her it it we us you you they them
Word
But what if…loathsome chair, I am not a child again.
Dream
Am am not am am not am am not am am not am am not am am not am am not
Word
But what if…
Artwork Robert Parker    Many thanks.
Excerpted from Without a Word by Molly Brogan

1 comment:

Joy Johnson said...

Interesting.
Respectfully,
Joy Johnson
http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/JoyJohnson